Cacti rrdtool upgrade woes

I wanted to move from my aging home server to a Raspberry Pi for Cacti monitoring. It takes a whole lot less power..

So I do what I always do: move stuff from one server to the other. (I was moving from RRDTool 1.4.3 to 1.4.7 and Cacti 0.8.7g to 0.8.8a)

But while trying to figure out why my graphs were no longer working. I got the following error:

“ERROR: the RRD does not contain an RRA matching the chosen CF”

Turns out something was incompatible between the RRDTool versions.

I wrote a little script for to export and to import the RRDTool files without having to do it manually. (code after the break!)

Continue reading Cacti rrdtool upgrade woes